PE & Sport Premium
At St Mary's we recognise and value the contribution of PE and sports, to the health and well-being of the children. In addition, it is considered that an innovative and varied PE curriculum, together with extra-curricular opportunities, have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of everyone.
At St Mary's Catholic Primary School, our vision is for all children to experience physical education, school sport and physical activity; where every child feels confident and ready to participate, which will lead to lifelong enjoyment, participation and active lifestyle choices.
Our Aim is to:
- Create a curriculum that develops, motivates and enthuses every child.
- Improve health and wellbeing.
- Give opportunities for all pupils to develop their leadership and coaching skills.
- Provide quality opportunities for all children to participate in a variety of sporting activities.
- Encourage each individual to achieve their best.
- Promote lifelong learning and active participation.
- Promote competition and excellence in sport.
- Continue to foster links with local sporting institutions.
What is Primary P.E. and Sport Premium?
The Primary P.E. and Sport Premium is funding designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the P.E. and sporting activities they offer their pupils.
The Department of Education’s vision for Primary P.E. and Sport Premium states;
‘All pupils leaving primary school should be physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and a lifelong participation in physical activity and sport’.
This funding has been provided to ensure impact against the following objective: To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of P.E. and sport in primary schools.
The focus of school spending must lead to a long lasting impact against the vision that will continue well beyond the Primary P.E. and Sport Premium funding. It is expected that schools see an improvement against the 5 key indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles.
- The profile of P.E. and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills in teaching P.E. and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
St Mary’s is committed to growing girls’ football, through providing girls with equal access to:
- Learn through football in PE lessons
- Participate in girls only football sessions
- Compete in girls’ football school fixtures/events
- Lead girls’ football activity for others
Click here to see our Pledge Certificate Pledge Certificate